Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 servings
• 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin seeds
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 white onion, diced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 jalapeño, finely diced (for less heat, remove seeds and/or use half the pepper)
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 1 1⁄2 cups of finely diced mushrooms
• 1 zucchini, diced
• 1⁄2 cup diced potato
• Two 15-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed
• One 15-ounce can of kidney beans, rinsed
• One 14-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
• 2 cups water or vegetable broth
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 1⁄2 bunch of fresh cilantro
• 1 cup kale, chopped
• Diced avocado
• Fresh cilantro
1. Toast cumin seeds in dry soup pot on medium heat, for 2 minutes until you smell the aroma.
2. Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Stir consistently until the onion is golden and translucent.
3. Add in the chili powder, seitan, zucchini, and potato, and stir well. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring to avoid sticking.
4. Add in black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, water, maple syrup, sea salt, and cilantro. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to low, and allow to cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
5. Remove from heat, and stir in the kale.
6. Serve hot. Garnish with diced avocado and a handful of cilantro.